On Friday 13th of October, the WINconnect Melbourne office participated in a workplace food drive for OZHarvest. In total 25 hampers were donated, each including enough food to feed a family of four for an entire day alongside additional supplies of bulk rice, pasta and a donation for their food cooking operation.
OZHarvest is Australia’s leading food rescue organisation, collection quality excess food from commercial outlets and delivering it directly to more than 1000 charities, supporting people in need across the country.
OzHarvest operates nationally, rescuing over 100 tonnes of food each week from over 3,000 food donors including supermarkets, hotels, airports, wholesalers, farmers, corporate events, catering companies, shopping centres, delis, cafes, restaurants, film and boardrooms.
They are passionate about minimising food waste and protecting our environment for future generations. Here’s why… (www.ozharvest.org/what-we-do/environment-facts/)
- The Government estimates food waste costs the Australian economy $20 billion each year.
- 4 million tonnes of food ends up as landfill, enough to fill 8,400 Olympic sized swimming pools.
- One in five shopping bags end up in the bin = $3,800 worth of groceries per household each year.
- 35% of the average household bin is food waste.
- Nearly three million people are living in poverty, one quarter are children.
- Over 644,000 people now receive food relief each month, one third are children.
The WINconnect team, look forward to organising another food drive in the near future, to continue to support the work OZHarvest do for the community.
For more information on the great work OZHarvest do and to get involved, visit www.OZharvest.org