Concessions and Energy Rebates

You may be eligible for state-funded energy concessions, which in some cases we’ll apply to your account for you.

Energy concessions, rebates and eligibility conditions vary from state to state.

Select your state for details on concessions that may be available to you.


The Department of Human Services have a number of utility concession programs which you may be eligible for. For details of the programs available and eligibility criteria please visit the website.

Contact details:

  • Concessions Information Line on 1300 650 172, request to speak to Concessions, select option 4.


Potential energy concessions available to you:

Non mains energy concession

Further information:

New South Wales

If you’re eligible for a New South Wales energy concession, contact Services NSW. You can check eligibility and apply by calling the government’s concessions hotline below or by visiting the website.

Contact details:

  • Services NSW on 13 77 88


Potential energy concessions available to you:

South Australia

If you’re eligible for a South Australian energy concession, contact the Department of Human Services. You can check eligibility and apply by calling the government’s concessions hotline below or by visiting the website

Contact details:

  • Medical Heating & Cooling line – 1300 735 350
  • Concession Hotline – 1800 307 758

APC F200 04/18 – Application for Cost of Living Concession (how to apply)

Medical Heating & Cooling Concession – Application for Medical Heating & Cooling Concession

Concession Information  – Are you eligible for a concession?


In order for us to apply your concession, you need to authorise WINconnect to confirm your eligibility with Centrelink, The Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services’, the Department of Veterans’ affairs. If authority is not granted, we are unable to apply any concessions in accordance with the concession regulations.

WINconnect will determine eligibility for QLD customers based on your response to the following questions:

  • Is this your principle place of residence?
  • Do you live alone or with your spouse/defacto and/or other people who are  wholly dependent upon you?
  • Does that person/s hold a Commonwealth Concessions Card or a Queensland Seniors Card?
  • Does that person/s receive Centrelink, Family Assistance Office or Department of Veterans’ Affairs payments, and DO NOT pay rent?
  • Does that person/s provide care and assistance and DO NOT pay rent

For Queensland residents to be eligible for the Energy Concession, they must hold one the following valid concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card (and receive the War Widow/er Pension or special rate TPI Pension)
  • Queensland Seniors Card (it’s important to note, this is NOT a Queensland Seniors Health Care Card)
  • Commonwealth Health Care Card (Electricity Rebate only)
  • Asylum seeker status (residents will need to provide their ImmiCard details) (Electricity Rebate only)

500 – Electricity Rebate Application

  • Please include a copy of the front and back of your concession card with your application form.


  • Send your completed form via email to or via post to PO Box 217, Hawthorn VIC 3122.
  • This form will need to be renewed every 12 months and a copy of the card provided on renewal.

Contact details:

  • WINconnect customer service 1300 791 970